A few days ago I posted a compilation of my best posts of 2017 and I was surprised how well some of the 5-year old blog posts aged. Now as I exported old sliwinski.com blog posts from 2012, I was even more amazed how some of my writing after 10 years aged pretty well. I hope you’ll agree with me and enjoy my best writing from a decade ago:
- Top 5 posts of 2012
- Essays on running a business
- Productivity advice
- How my life has changed
- Productive! Magazine issues
- Books I read and wrote about
- My iPadOnly journey started in 2012
- All in all, 10 years ago I made some big changes!
Top 5 posts of 2012
Let’s start with my favorite and subjectively the best posts of the year, that did stand the test of time or started a new trend that lasts a decade later:
- iFamily - how I’m using iCloud setup with my spouse and family - I can’t believe it still holds true in 2022.
- #iPadOnly era has begun when I got a new iPad 3 with Retina display and started working on it full time and was blogging about it (more below)
- Stand-up! How to work standing (check out this video) - I keep working like this to this day
- Grand home office setup for 2012 - my first home office that incorporates stand-up desk, dedicated iPad space and built-in document shredder.
- Un-schedule and pomodoro - it started my quest for a perfect workweek.
These were by far my most popular or most transformational posts. But in total 2012 was very fruitful and there’s more to explore:
Essays on running a business
- Delivering customer happiness by asking for money
- Handling crisis in a company
- Wearing many hats as CEO, Product Guy and Marketing person
- Fighting your biggest competitor
- Mentoring others
- The difference between managing tasks and getting them done
- How I use Evernote
- Video of using two monitors
- Not typing long emails
- Benefits of splitting a day
- Inboxes in my life
- Beginnings of my morning routine
- Power of focus - Steve Jobs style
- Video promoting touch-typing
- Importance of having goals
How my life has changed
In 2012 I posted about several aspects of my life that have changed substantially and are still true today:
- How my TV-watching habits changed
- My issues with piracy
- How I reduced the number of clothing items because I was counting them
- What I learned on my America trip
- Benefit of a doubt
- Inspiration from Kubica and Maier
- 7 years married to my best friend
Productive! Magazine issues
I published several issues of the Productive! Magazine in 2012:
- #11 with Gretchen Rubin with interview
- #12 with Jason Womack with interview
- #13 with Graham Allcott with interview
- #14 with Augusto Pinaud with interview
Books I read and wrote about
Yes, I need to get back to writing book reviews/notes on this blog. I wrote a few of those in 2012.
It was also the year when my beloved author and speaker Zig Ziglar died.
My iPadOnly journey started in 2012
- The Cloud services for iPad
- Writing apps on iPad
- My iPad early Home Screen setup
- The role of email and other APIs
- Apps for traveling with iPad
- Portability and fun aspects of an iPad
- Things that still frustrate me on the iPad
- Designing back-end of services supporting an iPad
- Social Media on the iPad
- Why keyboard is optional on the iPad
- Typical office-work on the iPad
- App-ification of web sites for the iPad
- Why iPad requires you to KISS - keep it simple, stupid!
- Devices supporting the iPad: AppleTV, iPhone and Mac Mini
- Video of my iPad accessories
All in all, 10 years ago I made some big changes!
This year I’m planning to post updates on some of the things I wrote about 10 years ago to point out what has and what hasn’t changed. This was a great decade, no on to the next one!