- Your host - founder and CEO of Nozbe
- I’m on a mission to help small teams do great things!
- Short bio
- This site is open source
- What I’m doing now?
- My additional projects:
- Things I used to do:
- My story
- Contact me or check what I’m doing now
Your host - founder and CEO of Nozbe
Hi, I’m Michael Sliwinski and I’m the founder and CEO of Nozbe and Nozbe Teams - to-do apps for busy professionals and teams. I’m leading a team of 20+ people who work completely remotely from their “home offices” and we’ve been doing this for the last 13+ years now. Nozbe and Nozbe Teams have more than 700K users from all over the world.
I’m on a mission to help small teams do great things!
I’m all about “team productivity” and what it means for me is helping teams work better, in a calmer way, leveraging trust, flexible hours and work from anywhere (remote for life!) and all that with the modern tools and technology of 2020.
Here’s my short bio:
Michael Sliwinski is a productivity enthusiast and entrepreneur. He’s the founder of Nozbe, app that since 2007 helps small business owners (and their teams) manage their business and private life. Nozbe is available on any platform (web-based with native apps for the Mac, Windows, Android, iPad and the iPhone + Apple Watch). Michael is passionate about working from anywhere in the world (#NoOffice) and in a mobile way (#iPadOnly). Privately he is a husband and a father of 3 girls.
If you need my photos for an interview, just right click and “save as” to download them in full res:
This site is open source
View the source of this site on GitHub. You can copy and share any part of this site, but just give back credits to me. It’s published using Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 license. Everything - the content, the code, anything - feel free to share it, use it, re-use it. Just remember to give me credit.
What I’m doing now?
My additional projects:
- I’m currently writing a book on working better in a modern and more remote and flexible way: #NoOffice.
- I’m blogging on this site now and I used to do it on my old site: sliwinski.com.
- I’m podcasting at No Office FM, giving guest interviews on other podcasts or sites, sometimes I’m also podcasting in Polish at Nie Ma Biura podcast.
- I read lots of books, actually audiobooks are being read to me
- I do all that from my iPad - I’m #iPadOnly. I actually co-wrote a book on that subject: #iPadOnly - the first real post-PC book - how to use only your iPad to work, play and everything in between.
Things I used to do:
- I wrote a book on productivity: 10 Steps to Ultimate Productivity, also available in Polish and Chinese
- Between 2015-2021 I used to co-host “The Podcast . FM” with Radek - on “technology, productivity tips, business, publishing, and whatever else comes to mind…” - we recorded more than 200 episodes!
- Between 2008-2017 I used to run the Productive! Magazine where together with other productivity experts we shared our best tips and tricks. All the issues are available for free on the web in English, Polish, Spanish, Dutch and Japanese
- Before Nozbe (i.e. before 2007) as apivision.com I was a one-man web marketing department/consultant for BuySculpture.com
- Before that in the early 2000s I failed at launching several startups: RSS publishing with HitRSS.com, Email auto-responders with Wyslij.info and banner-agency “ELLO”. I also wrote a Windows launcher called QTbar when I was in collage.
You can hire me to speak at your event!
I’m Passionate about Productivity, Entrepreneurship and Technology that help us get things done.
These are the three topics I’m being asked to speak at events all over the world. I’ve been a keynote speaker at various conferences and events (including TEDx) in the USA, Germany and Poland. As a productivity expert I’ve been featured on BBC and other media channels. These days I’m extremely busy running Nozbe, so I only accept a limited number of offers to speak per year. One of my recent ones was the one at InfoShare 2018:
Here’s what people say about me speaking:
“Michael spoke to my team about productivity, time management and the tools that help him achieve his goals. His presentation left us motivated and excited to get more organized and achieve more in less time and with less stress. Michael speaks with authenticity and humor and delivers his productivity message with authority born of experience and passion. We could not have been more satisfied with what Michael provided us at Polidea’s Non-Tech Talk.” - CEO at Polidea
To learn more about my Nozbe story, please read this interview with me.
Born Polish, I’m European and I think globally
I was born in Gdynia, northern Poland (in Europe) and spent my childhood there. My mom started teaching me English when I was 6 and thus she fostered my interest in languages… and my father, who was an “electronics technician” got me interested in computers. My parents are really amazing. Together as a family (along with my younger brother Przemek) we traveled every year somewhere for holidays… and that’s why I still love traveling so much. Now, apart from Polish and English I also speak fluently two other European languages: Spanish and German… and I’m currently learning Japanese and French.
I studied in 3 Universities
I have two university degrees. One from the University of Gdansk (Poland) in Business Economics and one from the Fachhochschule Stralsund (Germany) in Marketing. I also spent a year studying on the Technical University in Valencia (Spain) through the Erasmus exchange program.
I started independent as apivision.com
Right after my graduation in 2003 I set up my own company “apivision.com” to pursue my interest in the Internet commerce. I founded several startups that eventually failed before I finally started something I was truly passionate about and managed to succeed with: Nozbe.
I launched Nozbe in 2007
Initially I started Nozbe because I wanted to better manage my time and I was inspired by David Allen’s book “Getting Things Done”. Back in 2005 I couldn’t find a tool that’d work for me so I built my own. I basically rewrote it twice before I launched it in 2007. Nozbe was my side project for an entire year before I decided to focus on running it full time in 2008. Now we’re a 20+ fully-remote people in the Nozbe team. Here’s a short history of Nozbe written for our 10th anniversary
I love my work, sports and books
I love what I do so it doesn’t feel like work. But apart from that I try to remain fit, especially as I lost weight thanks to “slow carb diet” and started running triathlons (I do 3-4 olympic distance a year: 1500m swim, 40km bike and 10km run). And recently I picked up tennis.
I also read about 30 books per year (actually I’m listening to them). I am a geek who likes technology gadgets (I’m an Apple fanboy) and cars. I am a Christian (Roman Catholic) and believe Jesus Christ to be my savior but I’m a very liberal catholic.
I work in “No Office”
I work from home and everyone on my team works remotely. I believe that “work is not a place to go but a thing you do”. I live in a very beautiful place in Europe with my wife Ewelina (who is a lawyer and you can see her on the photo above) and my three amazing daughters: Milena, Emilia and Liliana.
Here’s a video that I recorded a while back that illustrates what I’m about:
My name in Polish is: Michał Śliwiński.