I’ve been running Nozbe for the last 16 years and every time someone would ask me about what I was doing, I found it really hard to explain it. I’d say something about a to-do app, time management, project management, and other buzzwords, which wouldn’t really tell them what Nozbe was all about and if it was for them. This year, after talking to many Nozbe customers, doing lots of soul-searching and consulting with my team I think I’ve got it down to just few words: Nozbe helps maintain a work-life balance 🏄♂️. OK, that’s the shortest version, the true line is below:
- What is Nozbe? A Simply Get Things Done App!
- Why Nozbe? Work-life balance!
- How are we building Nozbe? 5 values!
- What people want out of Nozbe?
- Here’s to 2023 and beyond!
What is Nozbe? A Simply Get Things Done App!
Now, when you ask me about what I do for a living, I’m gonna tell you that I’m building this:
Nozbe is a productivity app for small business owners (and their teams) to help manage their work and private life in a simple way. On any device.
That’s it. That’s the promise. That’s the result our thousands of happy customers have been achieving. Now, let’s discuss each keyword in detail as each of them has a special meaning:
- Productivity app. It’s a tool that helps people get things done - so they know what to focus on and what to do and they don’t have to remember that. Through our user interface we want to teach good productivity habits
- Small business owners (and their teams). Nozbe has been designed for folks like me - entrepreneurs and owners of businesses or team leaders with 1-30 people (as the sweet spot). They are the most constrained and they need a tool that helps them manage it all. We believe Nozbe can also help our business owners with managing their environment - their contractors, employees and customers - to be able to get things done with all of them.
- Work and private life. We are a work-life balance company - we help our users maintain a healthy work-life balance and we enable them to do it in our app - where they can manage it all - both business and private matters.
- Simple way. Nozbe is powerful but simple to use. Our customers choose it above our competitors because it’s the simplest to get started, it’s simple for their team members to use, it’s simple to put data into it and to find what you need to do or take care of. While simple, it’s also powerful enough to manage both business and private matters - but the power features don’t get in the way of getting things done!
- Any device. Our customers can manage it all and get it all done on any device. Nozbe works offline and shines on all the popular platforms.
Why Nozbe? Work-life balance!
Now that I’ve explained the what, it’s time for the why, for our Nozbe mission which is:
To help busy professionals maintain a work life balance.
Here’s the longer explanation:
- Busy professionals. Not only do we take care of our primary customer (small business owner), but also for people around them - their team, family, colleagues, contractors and customers. We want them all to be enjoying a great work life balance.
- Work life balance. Fridays (4-day workweek), working from home, flexibility of work time are some of our core principles. And our app is designed around them!
How are we building Nozbe? 5 values!
I have identified 5 CORE VALUES we design our app by:
- HYBRID WORK Work is not a place to go, it’s a thing you do. People should be able to choose how much time they spend in the office and adjust their office to their lifestyle. The future is hybrid and the command center is Nozbe.
- PRODUCTIVITY HABITS Through the user interface we help users cultivate good productivity habits and apart from that we promote weekly reviews and personal development time (through Mighty Fridays).
- EFFORTLESS COLLABORATION Great feedback is key and we design the interaction in projects, tasks and comments in a way that promotes valuable feedback and asynchronous interaction first. By moving away from email (which is great for initial handshakes) we make collaboration between everyone more productive, focused and trustworthy.
- WORK-LIFE BALANCE You don’t work 24/7 - there should be a clear distinction between work matters and private stuff while managing both should be easy and be based on similar mechanisms within one Nozbe app.
- FUN Working and organizing private things doesn’t have to be a chore, it can be fun 🤩
What people want out of Nozbe?
We’ve been asking our customers a lot about this and they consciously choose Nozbe over competing products, because Nozbe offers a great balance of simplicity and power. These are the things they care about and we should never lose sight of:
- Simplicity in day-to-day interactions and clear understanding what’s going on.
- Easy way to get started and get the hang of the system by the customer and their environment.
- Both business and personal life can be managed in just one app.
- Serial entrepreneurs can run several businesses in one Nozbe app.
- Dedicated mobile and desktop apps that help people get stuff done from any device. Even when offline.
- Great value for money - Nozbe’s price is somewhere between simple consumer apps and dedicated productivity apps for each industry.
- Flexibility and adaptability - customers choose Nozbe not because of its number of features but because of its flexible interface that thanks to tags and project layout, easily adjusts to any industry.
Here’s to 2023 and beyond!
Clearly defining the WHY and the WHO and the WHAT was key for me in making plans for the rest of this year and beyond. It helped me regain clarity and get me even more excited about what’s to come!